Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Personal Training

For as long as I can remember, I have always been afraid of the weight training section of the gym (I am not counting lifting 2 lb weights in my basement as weight training). I generally steer clear because:

a) I don't want to hurt myself by dropping something on my foot or dropping something on someone else's foot thereby causing them to hurt me.
b) The area is usually crowed with lots of very large dudes grunting and moving around with more purpose than Homer Simpson on his way to Moe's and I don't want to get trampled.

I decided to overcome my fear of the weight training section of the gym by meeting with a personal trainer at the gym at my hotel. I had my first personal training session yesterday, my trainer Manish (fitting name for a jacked up dude), showed me how to use some of the machines and lift some dumbbells.

For 50 minutes Manish showed me how to use various weight training machines and do some moves with dumbbells. While we were going through this exercise I couldn't help but think "Man I am SOOO weak, I am struggling lifting 5lbs." Luckily about 30 minutes in I realized that the weights were measured in kilograms, so I was still weak, but not as weak as I originally thought! Manish seemed like he knew what he was talking about because:

a) He was pretty jacked up himself, so he had to know a thing or two about working out
b) He kept filling me in on what ever '"oid" I was working out, deltoid, romboid, blah, blah blah

While we were weight training, Manish kept saying "Good" or "Very Nice," I am not sure if I actually was doing a good job or he was offering words of encouragement because I was paying him... He certainly did not yell at me like Jillian from the Biggest Loser (which I was a tiny bit sad about).

After the weight training we did 10 minutes of stretching. OMG guys, this was the best part of paying someone to make you exercise! This was not like the half-assed stretching you do on your own after a run cos you feel like you have to but really you just want to call it quits, this was like stretch arm strong stretching.

Despite all the stretching I am sore today, very sore. My whole upper body is sore, my arms are sore, my arm-pits are sore, my back is sore, my chest is sore. I never really was sure what was going on with the arm pit area, but apparently its muscles, muscles are what is going on and they are sore!



2 comments:

  1. I love Jillian... I would be her team over Bob's any day... she's a huge bitch, and that's what makes her awesome!! When I was in Philly, I hired a personal trainer for 30 minute sessions JUST to stretch me. It was amazing... a little embarrassing with some of the positions he put me in, but amazing nonetheless :) Can't wait for you to come home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about you learn a thing or two and become my personal trainer when you return..work some gluts girl!

    ReplyDelete