Monday, December 7, 2009

Aaawkwaaard

I would like to think that I am pretty socially aware; I can read between the lines, I can tell when guys are hitting on me, I can tell when someone is paying me a compliment that they really don't mean. This is true in the United States, in India I am pretty socially awkward, and not for lack of trying, I just don't seem to really get if what people say is what they really mean. I find myself thinking, after almost every conversation I have with someone, "Well, that was aaaawkwaaard."

One day a few weeks ago I went to the cafeteria to get some coffee and breakfast, usually I just eat alone and book it back to my desk. On this day I ran into some of the developers from my bay in the cafeteria getting breakfast as well. They invited me to join them, so I did, because I figured I should try to be social and make friends. So there are 6 of us sitting at a table eating, of course everyone is interested in hearing about how I like India, what I have done so far, etc. This is all fine, the awkwardness starts when someone suggests I should go visit a "Hill Station."

Rane: You should go to a Hill Station one weekend.
Me: Yea, maybe. How far is it? (Not really knowing what a hill station was)
Rane: 3 hour drive, you need a car. [Turns to friend] Adam, you have a car. You should take her. For a weekend.
Adam: [Looking uncomfortable] Ok.
Me: [Looking uncomfortable but not saying anything because blurting out No would be rude]
Rane: Great! We will go this weekend. [Turns to me] We'll all go.
Me: (Thinking: Oh shit this is going to be horrible, I need to get out of this somehow)
Adam: I have to go to a wedding this weekend.
Rane: Ok, we will make a plan for some other weekend.
Me: [Smiling uncomfortably] (Thinking: Well, that was aaawkwaaard)

I mean, I know Indian people like to show up to each other's houses uninvited and expect there to magically be a three course meal waiting for them... but volunteering someone for a weekend trip because they have a car seems like a bit much. I wasn't really sure what to make of this. I ran this by my friend, Robert, at work and he confirmed that this was pretty abnormal.

As the weeks went by I found out that Rane's odd behaviour was a result of him self-appointing himself to orchestrate ways for Adam and me to see each other.

So middle school. So not working.

1 comment:

  1. damn thats awkward! I can totally imagine the weird smile on your face..no teeth..just he lip! ooooohhh....

    ReplyDelete